Nick’s practice focuses on complicated commercial and intellectual property disputes, including claims for trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, breach of contract, fraud, fraudulent transfer, business defamation, and violations of non-competition agreements. Before joining Fulkerson Lotz, Nick served as a law clerk for the Honorable Gregg Costa of the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, law clerk to Honorable Gregg Costa (2014-1015)
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2014
- LEX Certificate Award (Top Grade Class): Contracts, Torts, Civil Procedure, Legal Writing I, Constitutional Law, Property, Criminal Law, Texas Consumer Law, Legal Writing II
- Houston Law Review, Chief Editor of HLRe: Off the Record
- Best Brief, National Appellate Advocacy Regional Competition, 2014
- Justice Bud Warren Memorial Scholarship for Outstanding Appellate Advocacy, 2014
- Order of the Barons, Order of the Coif, and Order of the Barristers
- Judge David Hittner, Southern District of Texas, January-May 2013
- Judge Sim Lake, Southern District of Texas, July-August 2012
- Judge Jennifer Walker Elrod, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, May-June 2012
Vanderbilt University, B.A., Communication of Science and Technology, 2011
- National Champion, American Debate Association, 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
- Team Captain, Vanderbilt University Debate Team
- Founder’s Medal for Oratory
- University of Texas Health Science Center, Research Assistant in BSL 3 Lab
- NASA, Intern in Office of Strategic Analysis and Communications
Admissions to Practice
- State of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Foundation Fellowship
- Expert Storytelling & Storytelling Experts: Why You Should Use Scientific Stories in the Courtroom, 5 Houston Law Review’s HLRe 157 (2015), read it here
- A Reply to “Mind the GAAP”, 93 Texas Law Review’s See Also 1 (2014) (co-authored with Tom Fulkerson), read it here
- A Case Killer Lurks In The Texas Defamation Mitigation Act, Law360 (2017) (co-authored with Ethan Gibson), read it here
- What Changed In The Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act, Law360 (2017), read it here
- Slapped and Sanctioned: The Heavy Hand of the Texas Citizens Participation Act, Houston Law Review: Off the Record (2017) (co-authored with Ethan Gibson), read it here
- Funding Your Post-Harvey Rebuild, Texas Bar Blog (2017) (co-authored with Jerry Mitchell), read it here
Nick was born and raised in Houston, Texas. After attending college in Tennessee, he returned to his hometown to pursue a legal career while his wife studied to become a doctor in the medical center. In his free time, Nick volunteers for the Houston Urban Debate League and avidly roots for the Houston Rockets, Texans, and Astros.
Seekra Realty v. Strange et al. (Brazoria County) (2017): First chair for plaintiff in pursuing claims for fraudulent transfer, breach of contract, and violations of the Texas Trust Fund Act. We obtained a judgment in favor of plaintiff in excess of half a million dollars.
Jones v. American Council on Exercise (S.D. Tex.) (2015-2017): First chair for plaintiff in pursuing claims for trademark infringement under the Lanham Act. Despite Defendant spending in excess of $2 million to defend suit, we defeated defendant’s motion for summary judgment and successfully negotiated a confidential settlement agreement.
Shoop v. Trevino (Harris County) (2017-2018): First chair for plaintiff in pursuing claims for fraudulent transfer and breach of contract. We obtained temporary restraining order against defendant and obtained payment for our client.
SouthWaste v. AmeriGas Propane (AAA Proceeding) (2016-2017): Second chair for defendant in arbitration proceeding asserting claims for breach of contract and indemnity in related CERCLA proceeding. We obtained a take nothing judgment in favor of Defendant after the arbitration hearing.
BancPass v. Highway Toll Administration (W.D. Tex./5th Circuit) (2014-2017): Second chair for plaintiff in pursuing claims for defamation and declaratory judgment. We defeated a motion for summary judgment filed by defendant and successfully defended that ruling on interlocutory appeal to Fifth Circuit.
NeuroConnect v. Carpenter et al. (Harris County) (2017): Second chair for plaintiff in pursuing claims for breach of contract, conversion, and tortious interference with contract. We obtained temporary restraining order against defendant.
Quest v. Cokebusters (D. Del.) (2014-2018): Counsel for defendant in patent infringement case related to inspection and service technology in oil and gas industry. We obtained summary judgment in favor of our client on all asserted claims.
Safeco v. AmeriGas Propane (AAA Proceeding) (2016-2017): Counsel for defendant in case asserting negligence. We obtained take nothing judgment in favor of Defendant after the arbitration hearing.
Majestic Synthetic Oil v. Karsi et al. (Harris County) (2015): Counsel for plaintiff in asserting claims for business disparagement and tortious interference. We obtained temporary restraining order against defendant.